Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Notes from Bah-Stun

Tuesday, January 15th

1) The good people of Boston are cracking me up with their accents. Seriously. They really talk like they're in a Saturday Night Live sketch.

2) The stage hands here are stage hands of the old school. I like these guys a lot. If you could some how change their accents from Boston to Long Island (which isn't all that big a change, truth be told), they could be my guys from the Music Hall. I feel right at home.

3) I was walking along the edge of the Commons last night behind a group of guys who were having the following conversation:
"I don't know how anybody can be a Yankee fan. I mean, even if you were born in New York City - the Yankees just suck."
"I know, I mean I have a friend from New York and even he doesn't like the Yankees."
"You're right, the Yankees just clearly suck."

This conversation was completely serious. Spring training doesn't start for another month, the Patriots are making a record setting run for the Superbowl, and these guys are talking about how much the Yankees suck. Come on.

4) The theatre here is lovely. What is now the Opera House, opened in 1928 as the B.F. Keith Memorial Theatre. The theatre opened as a vaudeville house but was converted to a movie theatre the following year. In 1991 the Opera House closed after a disasterous flood and didn't reopen until renovations were completed in 2004. The interior of the auditorium was, of course, restored and refurbished to something like it's original appearance while the backstage spaces were enlarged and modernized. The resulting backstage is a mish-mashy maze of new and old architecture with giant, trapezoidal stage house; plenty of room for everything and everyone.



JV

No comments: