Saturday, August 9, 2008

Spamalot at 1,000

There are big bags full of celebratory cupcakes sitting on the Company Managers' hampers:



That can only mean one thing - Spamalot is having an anniversary! This afternoon's matinee marks the tour's 1,000th performance. The tour debuted in Boston in the spring of 2006 and has plans to stay on the road for the foreseeable future. Just a few of those hardy souls who opened in Boston are still with us: Ken Davis (PSM), Karl Baudendistel (Company Manager), Ben Whiteley (Maestro), Vera Pizzarelli (Props), Keith Martin (Automation Carpenter), Mitchell Beck (Hair and Make-up), Christopher Gurr (Sir Bedevere), Christopher Sutton (now: Herbert, then: Ensemble), Esther Stilwell (now: Lady of the Lake, then: Stand-by for Lady of the Lake), Paula Wise (Ensemble) & Darryl Semira (Ensemble).

I'm a ways behind the originals - the matinee will be my 614th performance. It's been 18 months since I joined the company in Naples, FL. I was down in the basement of the theatre today getting my trunk ready for the trip back to the US and I took a moment to really look at it:



There's something stuck on there from 49 of the 52 cities I've visited. I'm missing only mementos from Naples, Tulsa and Philadelphia - I'll have a chance to get a sticker from Philly next week. My trunk has really become my massive souvenir. I jokingly told Karl the other day that I'll have to give my notice when there's no more room for stickers on my trunk!

Congratulations to the entire touring Spamily on the anniversary.

JV

No comments: