Thursday, April 19, 2007

Patriots' Day in New England

Patriots' Day in New England
Thursday, April 19th

Things have been quieter with the Spamily since my last post. As predicted, the show has smoothed out since our opening night and is humming along now in its second week. Julie, our newest company member, has settled in and is doing a great job. Graham continues to rehearse in anticipation of his swing debut next week. Mike, our Wardrobe Supervisor, recently gave his notice and will leave the tour in Texas. All manner of designer types have been visiting and giving notes, etc. Otherwise, it’s been business as usual.

Hartford hasn’t been very welcoming. The sun has shone precisely one day since we’ve been here. We (along with the rest of the East Coast) were hit by a “Nor’easter” over the weekend that left us waterlogged and made getting around a challenge. (“Storm’s a comin’, Mrs. Fletcha.”) Haven’t done any sight-seeing since our arrival, the rain combined with rehearsals has kept me mostly indoors, but there was some progress on the eating tour of America and a great visit from two of my favorite women this weekend.

Friday night saw Sheila’s arrival on the scene and she was joined by Shannon on Saturday. We all met up for lunch in Hartford’s Union Station. They’ve refurbished the train station and made it a transportation center (busses as well as the train) and entertainment hub. Our meal at Hot Tomato was delicious. The tasty Italian dishes were enormous and our waitress was a doll (she left me a shout wipe in anticipation of the sauce I was sure to get all over my white shirt.) Saturday night, we went out to explore the bar scene in Hartford. While it’s true that most of Hartford’s downtown is empty after 5 PM, there is quite a bar scene! We caught the end of the 13 inning Yankee marathon on Saturday night and enjoyed ourselves in a very loud bar with a very strange mix of music (who knew people still enjoyed The Thong Song?).

Sunday we met up for breakfast at a local coffee shop (Jo Jo’s) and lingered over our egg sandwiches and drinks. Sheila and Shannon toured the local mall in an attempt to stay dry while I did my first show. They met us for a Spamily meal between shows. Brian Bogin (who I replaced in Florida) had made the trip up & was feted with a meal between shows at the Trumbull Kitchen. A dozen, or so, of us descended on the restaurant en masse. The wait for our food, as is to be expected, was long – but worth it. Sheila’s pork shank was falling off the bone, but crispy on the outside. I have no idea what the kitchen did to Shannon’s meatloaf, but it was delicious (I think the slices were glazed and then thrown under the broiler for a minute). My order was confused and I had to take it back to the theatre in a doggie bag, but it was tasty even later. A culinary high-light in Hartford. Sheila and Shannon got the nickel tour of our backstage before they caught the show on Sunday night (special thanks to Mike for showing them the “super-secret pyro room”.)

Shannon, Maybelle & Sheila Marie backstage

Monday, we drove through the rain to Boston. We managed to mostly avoid the fools running the Boston Marathon in the cold and rain. We got to see Shannon’s Emerson haunts. (I still need an Emerson sticker for my trunk…) Shannon also hosted a walking tour of Boston. We hit many of the highlights: Paul Revere’s grave, the liberty tree turned DMV, Fanuel Hall, the North End and the Boston Gardens.

JV, SM and the Massachusetts State Capital

JV, SM & Paul Revere


We enjoyed the treats at Quincy Market. What could be nicer than a cold Sam Adams, oysters, clam chowder and a lobster roll with friends on a rainy Patriot’s Day?



We also shared a delicious cream puff between us for dessert. What’s not in this picture is the cream puff ejaculating all over poor Shannon…

Creampuff love


We also saw a big, creepy, black bird swimming amongst the Swan Boats and ducks in the Boston Garden. My internet work trying to identify him says that he didn’t belong there at all. I have failed to nail down exactly what he was. He wouldn’t hold still for a close-up picture what with all the diving and scaring ducks he was busy doing…


The creepy black diving bird


We wrapped up our Boston visit with a meal in one of Shannon’s favorite local places: Kennedy’s. Surprisingly, it’s an Irish pub. More rainy day comfort food was in order: hamburgers, shepherd’s pie and steak tips. Yummy. After dinner, we said goodbye to Shannon and picked up Dana and Steve for the trip home to NYC. It was great to have company for the drive.


At Kennedy's

This guy took the preceeding photo for us (as well as one to remember him by)

Tuesday afternoon I was back in the rental car on my way to Hartford and Spamalot. Yesterday, we held our weekly understudy rehearsal and today I have rehearsal with Graham. I’m hoping that the predictions are right and that there will be sun for my free afternoon on Friday. I’d like to see the Mark Twain House and maybe the capital (especially since it’s right across the street from the theatre!!!).

More photos from the weekend can be found here.


Sheila's photos from Philly are here.

JV

5 comments:

SME said...

I think we saw some sort of cormorant - but I can't find a photo of one with crazy "eyebrows" and orange eyes like the one we saw.

JV said...

I think you're right. The cormorants have eyebrows - but I can't find one as plain black as ours was... Maybe he had "winter plumage"?

JV said...

In fact, I think he might have been a double-crested cormorant.

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/68/overview/Double-crested_Cormorant.aspx

SME said...

Ah - that could be it! But really, it had orange eyes. That makes me saddest about not being able to get a close-up.

Unknown said...

A cormorant . . . or a pterodactyl??? I'm just saying, you're lucky you escaped with your life.