Thursday, May 24, 2007

Backstage Scene

Backstage Scene
Thursday, May 24th

Your intrepid reporter was standing backstage with the charming Keith Reese (Head Carpenter) on opening night in Houston. The 30 hour marathon of load-in and show #495 was nearly over when we shared this exchange:

JV: "You're almost there brother."
KR: "Yeah."
JV: "This is some crazy schedule. It's almost like summer stock or something."
KR: "It is; only on a bigger scale and with a lot more assholes."
JV: "Genius."

Opening night in Houston went well. No one was killed. We brought the show to the people. The crew went home to hibernate (and then got up Wednesday morning to deliver our trunks). Since I have four weeks to explore Houston, I took Wednesday off from the National Eating Tour and hid out in my hotel room. I did laundry, watched Law and Order, wished I could cook like a combination of Ina Garten and Paula Deen and read the New Yorker. I only emerged in time for a quick bite on my way to show call. There's a Subway just up the street from the hotel. I was standing in line when I received the following text message: "You're so predictable." That was followed by one that read: "Over your right shoulder." Tony (one of our sound men) is on to me and my enjoyment of Subway. We've run into one another while "eating fresh" in nearly every city.

Today we have understudy rehearsal. Lyn our new Lady of the Lake Cover will make her debut during the rehearsal. Tomorrow night Sheila Marie will wing her way to Houston and the National Eating Tour will resume. If the weather stays nice, we will celebrate Spamalot's 500th performance with a barbecue on the loading dock between shows on Saturday. Casey will join us on Sunday and the three of us will have a day off to explore town on Monday. Looking forward to a fun weekend.

JV

1 comment:

KJT said...

I miss you. We had a fire last night. Today, the new fence is going in the garden. I'm marinating a tenderloin now. You and SM should be here.