Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Egg Salad

Egg Salad
Tuesday, May 8th

As some of you may know, I'm a little obsessed with egg salad. So, when the Hoaglin Cafe (where Stage Management and Company Management ate our load-in lunch) claimed to have the best egg salad in Indianapolis, I went for it. Now, it should be noted that I don't go for plain ole' egg salad. I like a lot of gack in it (maybe some cheese and definitely some mustard). The egg salad at Hoaglin's had dill (genius!) in it and finely shredded onion. It was served on sour dough with thick slices of crispy bacon, lettuce, tomato and melted cheddar cheese. While I can not claim to have tried all the egg salad in Indianapolis, I will say that all others have their work cut out for them. I ordered a side of cauliflower salad with my sandwich. I wasn't sure what to expect with such a salad, but I was very pleased with the result. Indianapolis is off to a good start!

The Murat Centre, where Spamalot will spend the next week, is another converted Masonic Temple. The building and the lobbies are very pretty. Very Turkish in their inspiration. The outside of the building looks a lot like the Fox in Atlanta with its towers and onion dome. Live Nation, who owns the theatre, has made the back of the theatre into the main entrance (the parking lot is in back). So, they've painted the rather plain back of the theatre to match the more decorative front (it looks like a Disney set). The backstage space is small and the dressing rooms are tiny. The principal dressing rooms have a toilet right next to the dressing table (sort of like a prison cell)! The male ensemble's quick change booth will actually be built one of our 53' trailers backed up into the loading dock... I'll update everyone on how that goes in a future post.

The actual front of the Murat Centre.


Roadfood.com recommends the Rathskeller here in Indy. As an added bonus, it's right across the street from the theatre. Bring on the German food!


JV

No comments: