Sunday, March 30, 2008

Battle of the Beards

Sunday, March 30th

This Sunday, Sunday, Sunday - at the Bob Carr PAC in Orlando, Florida:
Spamalot's Battle of the Beards!

Terry Thomas, our sub-prop man, is an inspiring guy. As soon as Ken met Terry, he began proposing the Battle of the Beards. I think this photo of Terry will help you understand why:




Terry's beard is awesome.


Today was meant to be the last day that the backstage men of Spamalot shaved. The Battle of the Beards is ON. We're meant to be growing our whiskers for the next 4 weeks (through Birmingham, Greenville, Raleigh and Dayton). We'll see how many of us actually have something to show at the end of the month; but here is a rouge's gallery of the pre-growth photos:

Karl: Company Manager
Karl claims to only be able to grow a "neck beard" and is reticent to participate, but we're hoping to shame him into it.


David: Associate Company Manager
Also reluctant to participate.


Justin: Head Carpenter


Tony: Sound


Mike: Deck Electrician
Mike "forgot" to shave this morning (I think the actual quote was: "I could shave or I could get laid.") but has been heard telling everyone else to "MAN UP" and join the battle.


Nate: Flyman
Nate is too pretty to battle.


Ryan: Deck Carpenter
Ryan is all in. He shaved off his signature goatee to do battle.


Keith: Automation Carpenter


Roy: Wardrobe


Mitchell: Head of Hair Department


Jason: Hair Jason didn't shave, but he's my bet for fiercest beard battler.



Wayne: Head of Wardrobe Department
Wayne is adamently not participating.


Cuz: Audio
A beard AND a kilt - a fearsome combination.


Scott: Head of Props




Jeff: Frontlights


Mark: Head Electrician
Mark is taking off some time next week to go SCUBA diving and won't be able to start on his beard until next weekend. I think he'll be able to catch up, no problem.


Graham: Dance Captain Graham can only do battle as long as he doesn't have to go on for any of our ensemble boys. Stay healthy guys!



Ken: Production Stage Manager


JV: Stage Manager
Sheila Marie helped me shave off my goatee this morning (It's been seven years since I've been babyfaced!)

So, these are everybody's "before" pictures. I'll add updates as we progress. Hopefully, we can get some super fun facial hair by the time we roll into Dayton.
JV

2 comments:

SME said...

I am impressed with Ryan's shaving! Tell Berg to get with the program.

Anonymous said...

You all look so sweet and vulnerable.
I've let myself go a little bit but I'm going to shave off my moustache and participate.
Brill blog JV.