Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Toes in the Ocean

Tuesday, March 11th

I arrived in Miami prepared to not dig it. High fashion, lying on the beach and dancing until the sun comes up: not things I associate with Jovon. I ended up enjoying the week in Miami a lot. Granted, I didn't really do any of the aforementioned things...

I loaded the show into the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, so my Monday activities were limited to a short stop at the Atlantic Ocean on my way to the house and a the first of many great meals at the Latin Cafe. The beach was beautiful. It goes on and on. It was also three blocks from the house I shared with Michael Gribbin. We stayed in Surfside, the next town north of the City of Miami Beach, in a two bedroom rental.



The Ziff Ballet Opera House - one of the two theatres that make up the Arsht Center for the Performing Arts

Our Bungalow.
The hotel options in Miami were not good, so I am forever grateful to Michael for coming up with this place (even if there was a gecko in the kitchen).



TVFMHRW - Miami


Tuesday was the start of another week of change. Gary Beach debuted as our new King Arthur:


Please note the photo credit.
Gary is a charming King. He's warm and engaging. The audiences clearly enjoy him.


We also welcomed our new Associate Company Manager: David van Zyl de Jong. While we're happy to meet David, this also meant a week of saying goodbye to Jeff Klein. Jeff will soon be joining the Avenue Q tour as their Company Member. He will be greatly missed.


Load-in lunch at the Pelican on South Beach.
Ken, Jeff, JV, David and Karl (Francesca gets another photo credit)


Before the show on Tuesday night Gurr, Julie and Jen Rias lead the assembled masses of the Miami Coconut Orchestra in a rendition of Bright Side of Life. A local radio station gave away some tickets and coconuts - much fun was had by all. The best part of the whole affair came later; during the show people banged their coconuts along to Bright Side! It was comedy genius.

The Coconut Orchestra on the plaza outside the Opera House



The baseball tour resumed on Wednesday. Roy and I braved the weather (it was pouring when we left Miami) and drove up to Fort Lauderdale Stadium - Spring Training home of the Baltimore Orioles - to see the O's take on the Florida Marlins. The weather cleared just before game time and we had a great time sitting in the sun and root-root-rooting for the home team. The game itself was not spectacular (the Marlins won 2-1 and there wasn't a lot of offense) but the crowd of baseball fans from all across the spectrum was entertaining. We were sitting between a bunch of Florida snowbirds who wore caps from the Cardinals, Yankees and Tigers and a father and son combo in Phillies gear who were on a Spring Training tour of Florida.

Fort Lauderdale Stadium isn't much to look at...

Roy and JV after the game



I made a return visit to Fort Lauderdale on Friday with a bigger group to see the O's take on the hated Boston Red Sux. While the park was only 1/4 full on Wednesday, the place was jammed on Friday and the crowd was 75% Sox fans. You can probably imagine how popular my Yankees jersey made me... The Sox were playing as a split squad; happily, they left Big Papi and Manny back in Fort Myers and the Orioles kicked the crap out of the defending world champions 12-2. Glorious!

Boys at the Ballgame:
Jeff, Graham, Scott, Cuz, Matt & Erik
Matt relaxing in the stands after most of the Sox fans crawled away.

Between the ballgames, Thursday was a lost day. My cell phone turned from a multi-media communication device to a worthless block of plastic and metal. It completely died. I spent the morning at the Verizon Store convincing them to hand me a new one instead of mailing it to me in New York. Mercifully, I had a very helpful tech guy and an understanding manager on my side and I walked out with a new (albeit devoid of contacts and personal stuff) phone. I spent the remainder of the day shopping for something "Miami Festive" to wear to our 2nd Anniversary Party on Friday. Surprisingly, I don't have a lot of "Miami Festive" attire.

Happily, Thursday was redeemed after the show. Graham hosted poker night at his apartment on South Beach. The evening was billed as a farewell game for Jeff, but we didn't cut him any slack - Graham cleaned up again.

Adam and Graham at the poker table
Come on! Look at that flop. I fold, thank you.


The party on Friday night was super fun. The company rented the Oasis at the Raleigh Hotel in Miami Beach. Not only did the outdoor space back up onto the ocean, but there were curtained cabanas, a bonfire and a bar that could have been lifted from the set of Anything Goes. The good people of the Raleigh even created the "Bright Side Martini" for the occasion - it was a vodka drink with ginger, mint and lime. There was a buffet of barbecue, dancing and a DJ. Really, really fun. Sadly, I left my camera in the car! (Or maybe not so sad, do you really want a photo of Cuz taking of his kilt and running into the ocean at 2:30 in the morning? I didn't think so...)

We wrapped up the week, as is tradition, with shot night. Jen Rias hosted this week and whipped up a tropical concoction that she entitled "The Coconut Cream": coconut rum with chocolate syrup and whipped cream on top. The shot was super strong, but you finish with a boozy chocolaty sludge at the bottom of the glass - yum.

Jen and her fiance, Louis, preparing the Coconut Creams


David's first Spama-shot



Jeff's last Spama-shot

An album from Miami is here.





JV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss baseball on Spamalot! I miss Roy! but I get Jeff!!!!! Good one JV. I am taking a tour of Fenway next week. Will be thinking of you! :)
Fran