Sunday, July 27, 2008

Grouse Grind

On Wednesday I drove out to Grouse Mountain with Elaine and Adam. Just across the Lions Gate Bridge from downtown Vancouver is a mountain resort. It's a ski destination in the winter and has converted itself to a summer time recreation destination as well. We were there to hike the trail known as the Grouse Grind.


This is the sign that greats hikers at the base of the trail.
This was merely the first time I thought to myself, "Really?"



The trail head for the Grouse Grind is at an elevation of 900 feet and climbs to the Alpine Base at 3,700 feet over the course of 1.8 miles. I can not explain how steep the trail is. For much of its length, the trail is composed of rough steps and stones arranged into rough steps. It's 1.8 miles of constant climbing. There are a few switchbacks, but no level patches.


Looking up Grouse Mountain from the parking lot. The top of the mountain was shrouded in clouds.




Adam and Elaine set off up the trail.



This sign greeted us at the quarter maker.
Again I thought to myself, "Really?" The trail had seemed extremely steep and difficult up to that point to me....


Ha! Extremely steep and difficult, indeed.

Elaine broke her foot in a skiing accident last winter, so she and I took a more leisurely (if there is such a thing) pace up the mountain. Adam was soon out of sight on his own trek. I was glad to have someone with me to share encouragement and the whole experience with.


It seemed like the halfway mark would never arrive...



The top third of the trail was crazy. Portions of the trail had ropes alongside so you could pull yourself up. Other parts of the trail would more aptly be described as a scramble than a trail. My hands were as important to getting me to the top as my feet.

An hour and half after we started up the trail, Elaine and I climbed over the top. Adam made the trip up in just about an hour and was waiting for us with a smile.

Adam greets us at the top of the Grind.

Take that, Grouse Mountain! I arrived at the top tired and sweaty, but triumphant.

I was glad for the cloud cover as we hiked up the mountain - I was plenty warm just from the exertion. The clouds were not as welcome, though, when we reached the top. On a clear day, you can see across Vancouver, the Georgia Strait and to Vancouver Island. When we reached the top we were completely socked in.

The view from the top - looking down the mountain along the tramway.

A visual representation of the Grouse Grind. Somehow, it's just not the same...


We relaxed for a bit in the Alpine House until we got our legs back. I bought both a sticker for my trunk and an "I survived the Grind" t-shirt to commemorate the experience before we started to explore the rest of the mountain. We passed up the Lumberjack Show (complete with competitive log rolling and axe throwing) but couldn't pass the stand selling "Beaver Tails". I was pleased to find yet another variety of fried dough! All the good things we had done for our bodies were probably negated by just one oblong piece of fried dough (like an ovoid elephant ear) smothered in cinnamon and sugar.


Grouse Mountain is home to a pair of grizzly bears. They were both (separately) orphaned as cubs and brought to the Grouse Mountain Animal Sanctuary. Grinder and Coola are both 7 year old males and weigh-in at around 700 pounds. They were really beautiful animals and were both up close to the fences affording us some great views. Their enormous paws with long claws made me glad for the fences - I wouldn't want to stumble upon them in the wild!

Grinder the Grizzly Bear


After our visit with the bears, we headed back down the mountain. The tram ride down was much faster than our hike up. We climbed back into the car and talked of hot showers and naps all the way back into town.


JV

1 comment:

SME said...

18 mile bike rides, mile long mountain climbs...Incredibly impressive! Congratulations on defeating Grouse Mtn!