Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Philadelphia

The last two weeks in Philly were busy ones. We said goodbye to two more Spamalot original company members, Keith Martin and Vera Pizzarelli, as well as our King, Gary Beach. We rehearsed our new King, Jonathan Hadary, and our newest ensemble member, Lenny Daniel. I also squeezed in some sight-seeing and a few more trips home to NYC.

At Keith Martin's going away party - so long, Coco!


I spent an afternoon seeing some of the sights in Philadelphia's Independence National Historic Park. I visited the Ben Franklin's grave in Christ Church burial ground, the site of Ben Franklin's home, his print shop and the Liberty Bell before I toured Independence Hall. I had been to Independence Hall before, but the experience was still moving. To stand in the room where both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution took shape was really impressive. Having read David McCullough's 1776 recently (and having been in both Washington, D.C. and Boston on the tour), I had the events of the Revolutionary War-era and the personalities firmly in mind. To stand where they stood and to imagine George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams et al debating what was to become the United States got me all emotional. Of course, I was also singing the score to 1776 (the musical) all afternoon....

Independence Hall - nee the Pennsylvania State House


Thomas Jefferson's chair in the foreground with George Washington's on the dais.



Of course, I also celebrated my birthday in Philadelphia! My birthday fell on a Sunday - a two show day - this year. The company celebrated at intermission of the first show with pie and singing. (Who needs cake when you could have pie instead! Thanks, Tera-Lee for hooking us up.) My beautiful wife asked me what I'd like for my birthday meal between shows - I think she thought I'd go for something a little bit fancy - but, instead, we piled into a cab with Mike Berg and headed down to Geno's for cheese steaks! Greasy bits of heaven: simple, cheesy, tasty and portable.


Outdoor tables line the far side of the building for hungry Philadelphians. Cheese steaks (with provolone, whiz or plain - with or without onions), fries (with or without whiz) and sodas make up the whole delectable menu.


SME and her steak.


Speaking of my birthday, one of my birthday presents from Mom & Dad was a pair of tickets to see the 26 time World Champion New York Yankees take on the hated Boston Red Sux at THE Yankee Stadium. Ken graciously gave me the night off so I could stay in New York and make one last trip to THE Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately, the Bombers couldn't hold onto their early lead and dropped the game 7-3. (Curse you Alex Rodriguez!!!) It appears that it will be the only Yankee game I'll get to see this season (aside from the split squad spring training game I caught in Florida) as the Yanks are currently 10 games behind the Rays for the pennant and 9 games back in the wild card race. It was also my last visit to the House that Ruth Built. We could see Steinbrenner's new stadium rising beyond Monument Park - I shook my fist and shed a tear. Even though the Yanks lost, there were an awful lot of us who were slow to leave the ballpark and a lot of folks lingered behind home plate for pictures. I'm sure the new stadium will be a palace, but it won't have the aura of THE Yankee Stadium. Babe Ruth inaugurated THE Yankee Stadium with a home run in the very first game there on April 18, 1923 - no matter how much money Steinbrenner and Co. spend, they can't buy history like that. That said, THE Yankee Stadium sent me off with Sinatra ringing in my ears: "I'm gonna make a brand new start of it in old New York."

My last look at THE Yankee Stadium.


On my weekend trips home I got to see many of the folks that touring life makes me miss. Shannon, Brittany and Erin make the trek in to celebrate my birthday with me. I had lunch with Abigail. Erin & Cody showed off their new digs in the Heights - welcome new neighbors! David shared a nice dinner at Hispaniola with Sheila Marie and I and then a cigar on the stoop. So great to see so many of my friends.

Wine with Cody & Erin devolved into:


After dinner cigars with David & SME
(Congratulations, David, on your Broadway debut! He's the Assistant Director for Roundabout's A Man for All Seasons at the American Airlines. He's right there on IBDB...)


Back in Philadelphia, I took a "Taste of Philly" tour with Angela. We toured all over Reading Terminal Market getting a culinary history and a few samples along the way. The market actually predates the Reading Railroad Terminal by some 30 years (the trains for the former Reading Railroad came in on elevated tracks above the market); the first indoor market opened at 12th and Market in 1859 and the railroad terminal opened in 1893. The market was one of the first buildings to feature a modern refrigeration system: pumps and pipes throughout the half-million cubic foot basement circulated chilled brine and ammonia that allowed for adjustable refrigeration. Our tour left us both hungry, so we took advantage of the market's bounty for lunch!

Angela samples a soft pretzel with mustard (Philly's answer to bagels and cream cheese, according to our tour guide)

I had a great time in Philadelphia. It was great to be within easy traveling distance of home again, but Philly is so much more than just convenient to NYC. Philadelphia wears its history easily - the old and the new stand confortably shoulder to shoulder. It has distinct neighborhoods within easy distance of one another. Downtown Philadelphia is easily walkable, but their subways and trolleys are also accessible. After my two three week stints there, there's still plenty left to see, do and taste for many more return visits.

With my beautiful wife under Robert Indiana's iconic LOVE sculpture.

JV

No comments: