Tuesday, July 17, 2007

You Really Ought to Give Iowa a Try

You Really Ought to Give Iowa a Try
Tuesday, July 17th


I've been in Des Moines 24 hours, and I already have seen more than I saw all week in Tulsa.

After we arrived yesterday afternoon, I struck out from our hotel (which is right across the street from the theatre, hooray!) in search of food. I found several restaurants nearby. I ate lunch in the Royal Mile, an English pub. The guinness and steak pie was delicious. I was already much happier in Des Moines.

Last evening, Jeff Dumas (our Cubs fan in residence) was invited to sing the National Anthem at the Iowa Cubs game. I, of course, posted a sign-up sheet inviting other members of the Spamily to come to the game. The local presenters reserved a sky-box for the game and invited us as their guests! Seven of us ended up going to see the I-Cubs take on the Round Rock Express in AAA action. Not only were the seats great (right behind homeplate, glassed in, air conditioned, with a view of the Iowa State Capitol just beyond the centerfield wall, and free), but there were food and beverages catered! Quite the Iowa welcome. Jeff did a great job with the Anthem and we had a really fun time at the park. (Look for a picture of me with the Iowa Cub in a future posting...) The I-Cubs soundly beat the Express, and the thunderstorms stayed away 'til after game time.

Load-in seems to be going smoothly here at the Civic Center. We have plenty of room backstage for all our gack. Hopefully, this translates to a smooth show tonight. In other exciting Spam-a-news, the Hormel Spamobile is parked outside the theatre! So, hurry on over to Des Moines for free Spam-samples. (You can keep track of the Spamobile and all other Spam-related news at spam.com.

At first glance, the schedule this week seems less crazy than last week's, so I hope to be able to see some more of Des Moines.

Suzanne must have heard my complaints about not seeing an armadillo while we were in Texas, because when she arrived at the theatre this morning, she presented me with this:

AN ARMADILLO CANDLE HOLDER!!! Please enjoy that he is holding the candle in his cowboy hat and he is also wearing a gun belt. Hi-larious. He's sitting on my desk, hidden behind my pictures of Sheila Marie (as Ken declared him creepy and asked that I position him so Ken can't see him). Thanks, Suzanne!

Before we left Tulsa, there was some extra pyro that had to be "disposed of". (We can't travel unused pyro.) So, Mike took the three SMs out onto the loading dock and we fired it off! Francesca took pictures:

Mike's Pyro-Room Signage

Mike Loading the Pyro

Boom Boom, Jr.

Mike fires a gerb

Sheila Marie sent me a virtual care package from NYC last night. She's been taking pictures of our neighborhood and her adventures in it lately. She included some of the new businesses and construction, so I can keep up on the comings and goings. She also took some of the changing seasons in Fort Tryon Park. So great to see a little bit of home. A few of my favorites...

Andrew D. Dog hangin' out in Fort Tryon Park

Our Corner of NYC

Sunset through the George Washington Bridge

Also want to take some space to congratulate Jessica and Mark Drewry on the sudden arrival of their new baby! Jess was all set to come and see me in Tulsa last Friday. When I called her to arrange our meet up, she said that their adoption agency had called and wanted to see them right away, so she'd have to leave our plans up in the air. Later Friday afternoon, she called back to tell me that she wouldn't be able to make it to Tulsa, as there was a baby waiting for them in Fort Worth! Last weekend, they went to pick up their new daughter, Georgia Rae Drewry (born July 6th). A couple of photos:

The hand-off. The foster Mom presenting Jess with her new daughter.

And baby makes three.

Georgia Rae Drewry

Congratulations to Jess, Mark & Georgia!

JV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok that baby is mad cute.
:)
Fran