Sunday, February 24, 2008

JAX

February 24th


That's right, the loading dock is shaded by palm trees. Welcome to Florida!

The Times Union PAC is a modern performing arts center. The stage house is of adequate size for an auditorium that seats 3,000, but the support spaces are a bit lacking. A couple of our principal men had to share a dressing room with the men's ensemble. The outside surroundings, however, are hard to beat. The building sits right on the St. John's River and an esplanade runs by.

The Times Union Performing Arts Center

Sunset on the St. John's

The Alsop Bridge - as it gets darker, the bridge gets even more intensely blue.

Lest I make Jacksonville appear too glamorous, I'll share a photo taken inside the loading dock:

Yup, we're still in the state with a gigantic swamp in the middle.

Much of the week was taken up with rehearsals. The charming Cara Cooper had her second week of rehearsals and her put-in (she'll join the company onstage with our opening in Fort Myers on Tuesday). We also welcomed Gary Beach to the company with a week of rehearsals (he'll assume King Arthur's throne in Miami). Our Associate Director and Choreographers came for a visit (and a dose of Florida sunshine), so that also meant some note sessions and added excitement. With two rehearsals going simultaneously Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I didn't get out to do any sight-seeing.

Happily, my hotel provided me with some entertainment, right in the back yard:

The VFMHRW - Jacksonville

"What does that sign say?" I hear you wondering.

Yes, my hotel came equipped with a large, carnivorous reptile.

While I only glimpsed the head of the beast gliding around in the swamp, it was very exciting just to know he was out there. I spent most mornings looking for him. I didn't get my much hoped for photo of the alligator (surely I'll have more alligator encounters in the next five weeks), I did get some bad photos of some big, creepy birds.

A great blue heron.

An anhinga. He's sitting in a tree across the swamp drying his wings after he went fishing. He swims with his whole body (except his snake-like neck) underwater. Then he dives down and spears fish with his beak before he surfaces to eat them like a pelican (tossing them in the air until they go down head first).

A great egret.

Yesterday there was randomly a van from the Crime Scene Unit parked outside the stage door. I have no idea why. It did provide a nice backdrop for a photo...

Ken Davis as Horatio Cane - CSI Jacksonville.

Last night's shot night was especially enjoyable. Brian O'Brien made the shot and dubbed it "The Homojito". He began with ginger & cucumber infused vodka and mixed it with cranberry juice and a dash of bitters. The result was suitably tropical and refreshing. Fantastic.

Brian pours a shot for Nigel.

Erik and Cuz enjoy a Homojito.

That's really it. Planning a bit of a road trip adventure with my travel day on Monday. I have all day to drive from Jacksonville to Fort Myers, so I'm going to stop in Haines City and visit with the Westfalls and maybe see some road-side sights along the way.

JV

2 comments:

Ann Heuy said...

Hi, Jovon... Patrick's mom here.

I'm glad you enjoyed our fair city. I hope your upcoming schedule allows for more adventuring, especially central Florida. It is the land that the mouse built and it's AWESOME. A few classically Floridian, non-Disney suggestions for your sight-seeing consideration:
1) Gatorland in St. Augustine
2) the Waterskiing Hall of Fame near Winter Haven
3) Homosassa, Rainbow or Silver Springs in western central Florida
4) Thomas Edison's house in Fort Myers
5) an airboat ride in the Everglades.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you while you were here. I really enjoy your blog.... Ann H.

S.O'C said...

If you don't take an airboat ride we aren't friends anymore.